Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 175-178

Acquired methemoglobinemia in cases of intentional exposure to agrochemicals: Our 4 years experience


Department of Emergency Medicine, CMC, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Darpanarayan Hazra
Department of Emergency Medicine, CMC, Vellore - 632 004, Tamil Nadu
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/cmi.cmi_3_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: Intentional exposure to agrochemicals is a major cause of premature mortality globally. Many such agrochemical compounds contain solvents that may result in severe methemoglobinemia that may be fatal. Acute methemoglobinemia is usually associated with high mortality; hence, an early aggressive management of poisoning in the emergency department (ED) should be attempted. Materials and Methods: This was a single-center, retrospective, cohort study analyzing patients with a history of ingestion of agrochemicals and significant methemoglobinemia in a period of 4 years that presented to our ED. Results: The total number of patients presenting to the ED following ingestion of agrochemicals with a motive of deliberate self-harm was 2491 during the 4-year study period, among which 24 patients had significant levels of methemoglobin. Majority of the patients presented following ingestion of nitrobenzene compounds (37%), followed by organic herbicides and larvicidal compounds (17%). The most common clinical features were that of low oxygen saturation on pulse oximetry not improving with oxygen therapy and central cyanosis. Most of these patients, i.e., 91.6%, were treated with intravenous (IV) methylene blue, to which 81.8% patients responded favorably and had methemoglobin <20% at 1-h interval from administering. Among the total study population, most (83.3%) patients required admission in the ward or intensive care for further stabilization and management, whereas the rest (16.7%) opted for discharge against medical advice. There was no mortality in the ED. Conclusions: Methemoglobinemia can be caused by a wide variety of agrochemicals that are potentially life-threatening. The most common clinical signs in the ED are those relating to hypoxemia. Use of IV methylene blue resulted in a significant reduction of methemoglobinemia. With this characterization, we hope to guide protocols in the future for the management of agrochemical poisoning.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed292    
    Printed27    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded48    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal